|Version 93 (modified by lennart, 6 years ago)|
Welcome to Avahi!
What is Avahi?
Avahi is a system which facilitates service discovery on a local network. This means that you can plug your laptop or computer into a network and instantly be able to view other people who you can chat with, find printers to print to or find files being shared. This kind of technology is already found in Apple MacOS X (branded Rendezvous, Bonjour and sometimes Zeroconf) and is very convenient. Avahi is mainly based on Lennart Poettering's flexmdns mDNS implementation for Linux which has been discontinued in favour of Avahi.
- 2007-04-19: Avahi is part of the The GNOME Mobile & Embedded Platform!
- 2007-04-18: We have released Avahi 0.6.18! This is a bugfix release and adds a few new features. (Change Log)
- 2007-02-04: We have released Avahi 0.6.17! This is a bugfix release. (Change Log)
- 2007-02-03: The video (Theora) and the slides of our Avahi talk at GNOME.conf.au 2007 in Sydney are now available for download.
- 2007-01-01: We have released nss-mdns 0.9! This is a bugfix release and an update is strongly recommended!
- 2006-12-29: We have released Avahi 0.6.16! This is a bugfix release, it fixes a security sensitive bug (100% CPU DoS; CVE-2006-6870) and a regression from the last release. (Change Log) All users are recommended to upgrade ASAP, especially given the DoS and regression which can often cause Avahi not to work correctly.
- 2006-11-06: We have released Avahi 0.6.15! This is a bugfix release which fixes a security sensitive bug, all users are recommended to upgrade ASAP. (Change Log, CVE-2006-5461) Distributors wishing to update their stable release can use the following patch
- 2006-10-20: Two Avahi developers (Trent 'Lathiat' Lloyd and Lennart Poettering) will be attending linux.conf.au 2007 in Sydney, Australia (January 15th-20th 2007) - so if you plan on attending, be sure to say hi and let us know if you want any interactive help adding Avahi support to your applications! In addition, we may (yet unconfirmed) be presenting a paper on Avahi at GNOME.conf.au which is part of greater conference.
- 2006-09-13: We have released Avahi 0.6.14! This is a bugfix release and adds a new tool avahi-autoipd (Change Log)